Did you know you can make your business more eco-friendly with just a few small changes? It’s actually quite simple because reducing the use of paper (and toner), cutting back on travel, and saving on energy can really make a big impact.
Save the trees by reducing your use of paper. Do you really need to print that email or presentation? Sometimes it looks better on screen, no? Here are some simple ways to go paperless:
- E-Bills: Many service providers offer online billing and may actually discount your bills for doing so
- Online/offline data storage: To avoid paper file storage you could back up all your company files on an external drive, office network, and/or on the web. There are tons of free web storage options such as Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Cloud accounting: Conduct your accounting using simple web based software like Freshbooks or Wave. Both offer (some) free services and very easy to use.
Cut back on travel
Traveling has become quite expensive and don’t forget it adds to emissions. Minimizing business travel will reduce your carbon footprint, and save you on costs. Here are helpful ideas:
- Video conferences: Rather than travelling to a new client, why not try a video chat? You can achieve a similar face to face experience, and save time for both you and the client. There are many free options out there such as Skype and Google Hangouts.
- Cut the commute: Live close to work, or better yet work closer to home. If possible, you may even want to consider working from home. Many successful businesses start this way.
- Bulk shipments: If your business often sends/receives shipments, try to arrange your outgoing shipping at the same time. This will reduce the fuel (and emissions) from by the courier.
- Public transportation: Try to use public transportation when possible. One of the best ways to reduce traffic congestion is to hop on transit. If possible, try walking or biking to work. Many do it, and if you live close enough, it might take less time/effort than you think.
Strive for energy efficiency
A few additions to your office (and home) can significantly reduce your energy consumption. Try these…
- Energy efficient light bulbs: These are pricier than regular bulbs but they tend to last much much longer because they use about 75% LESS power than traditional bulbs. The energy savings will easily make up for the initial costs.
- Temperature control: Many offices blast the AC and feel too cold, creating an uncomfortable temperature. Adjust the thermostat daily according to the weather. This will save energy. And don’t forget to turn the AC or heat off at the end of the day or when the office is not in use.
- Solar power: Consider investing in solar panels. Many governments will actually pay you for adding power to the grid. Check it out with your local energy provider. Green energy!
- Turn it off: At the end of the day remember to power down your equipment. Like the heat/AC, when not in use, turn it off and save energy.
As great as the above tips are for saving the planet, you’ll also save your business considerable money in what might be unnecessary costs. Green it up today!
Want to learn how to green your office?